August 22, 2023Back To News
Since the start of the pandemic, the number of users of Microsoft 365 has risen to over well over 250 million active users. This unprecedented growth of users has led to a massive increase in the amount of data stored on Microsoft’s servers, making the need to protect data ever more important. But, is relying solely on Microsoft 365 sufficient to address all your data security requirements? The concise answer is that it follows a shared responsibility model.
Within this framework, two pivotal technologies play a crucial role in data protection: ‘Replication’ and ‘Backup’. M365 takes care of the replication aspect as an integral part of their service. However, it’s important to note that while they do handle replication, they do not undertake the task of backing up your data, nor is it within their purview to assume such responsibility.
Now, let’s look into the reasons why you might need to use a backup solution.
1. Accidental Deletion: Users can accidentally delete important files, emails, or other data, and Microsoft’s retention policies may not be sufficient to recover the data in such cases.
2. Retention Policy Gaps: Microsoft 365 retention policies might not cover all data types or may not retain data for as long as you need. Custom retention policies can be complex to set up, leaving potential gaps in data protection.
3. Security Threats: Cyber threats like ransomware or phishing attacks can compromise your data. While Microsoft has security measures, these threats can still lead to data loss, corruption, or unauthorized access.
4. Insider Threats: Data can also be at risk from malicious actions taken by employees or individuals within your organization.
5. Data Corruption: Although Microsoft’s infrastructure is robust, data corruption can still occur. This could result from various factors like software glitches, synchronization issues, or hardware failures.
6. Compliance and Legal Requirements: Depending on your industry, you may have specific compliance and legal obligations to retain data for a certain period. A comprehensive backup solution can help meet these requirements.
7. Transition Between Plans or Providers: When migrating data between Microsoft 365 plans or if you decide to switch to a different provider, having your own backups ensures a smoother transition.
8. Long-Term Data Preservation: If you want to retain data for an extended period, backing up your Microsoft 365 data ensures you have control over retention policies.
Here at Elite Group IT, we offer a range of services to streamline your business. To ensure you get the best service, we are a registered Cloud Service Provider with VEEAM the #1 global leader in Data Protection & Ransomware Recovery. VEEAM works with some of the biggest brands in the world, including 81% of Fortune 500 companies, they simplify backups for virtual machines by adhering to the most stringent backup protocols and uses industry-leading technology to properly secure your digital assets.
Elite Group IT, in collaboration with VEEAM, provides a fully integrated, fast, and secure way to backup and replicate your company’s Cloud Repository. State-of-the-art datacentres provide a fully up to date, integrated and secure solution. This solution allows you to create comprehensive physical or virtual offsite backups without the cost or complexity associated with alternative options. If you want to watch an overview of how VEEAM backup for Microsoft 365 works, you can click here.
If you want to find out more about how we can provide elite IT support to meet your business needs, reach out to a member of the team today on firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01624 663333.